You’ve read about him in the papers and online. You’ve watched him on the news; you discussed him over countless cups of coffee or belts of high-octane beverages. Given his actions, statements, choices and associates, people from coast-to-coast as well as across the globe are reeling in reaction to the 45th President of the United States.
His inauguration has created a panoply of fear, anger, depression and resignation among global citizens. People are having real difficulty accepting and adjusting to the 45th U.S. President. There is so much suffering.
As a psychologist, I felt it behooved me to name this affliction, which I now term the “45th President Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Reactions.” The diagnosis code for those of you hoping to submit this to your health insurance, while it lasts, is OMG1.20.2017.
Here is the diagnostic criteria:
1. INABILITY TO ACCEPT REALITY: The appearance of being stunned with disbelief; characterized by a bobble-headed face plastered in incredulity and a mouth pursed in a frozen “what the ….” or “oh noooo”; showing shock and horror; feeling totally aghast. This is compounded by somatic symptoms such as upset stomachs, eye and/or mouth twitching, spontaneous groaning, restlessness and agitation.
2. ANGER AND RAGE: Red (fiery), white (beyond words) or blue (deep and buried) anger and rage due to the complete disregard and thwarting of humanitarian rights and environmental realities.
3. OBSESSIVE BEHAVIORS, such as:
a.) A sudden and marked increase in watching and/or reading the news and related articles. This includes headline-seeking prior to bed and before the first cup of morning coffee;
b.) Wearing pink, kitty-eared caps while marching;
c.) Watching Saturday Night Live religiously;
d.) Signing petitions repeatedly;
e.) Looking up the definitions of dictator, autocrat and plutocrat;
f.) Avoidance of the word “huge”;
g.) Taking self-help courses in how to deal with a bully;
h.) Wearing protective gear when watching a White House Press conference;
i.) Praying daily for peace.
a) Complete avoidance in watching, listening and/or reading the news;
b) A refusal to discuss politics; period;
c) An increase in the behavior of each hand over an ear with a swivel rotation of the head, saying “la la la la la” repeatedly while ignoring everyone and everything around you, especially incoming info about #45;
d) Pretending it’s all ok when your insides are screaming.
5. HIGH ANXIETY: Escalating anxiety that there will be no clean air, water or earth for future generations; no insurance to cover chemotherapy costs; abolishment of Sanctuary cities; opening of Black Op torture sites; military aggression; a nuclear event; closing doors to the press and media bans; disregard for the arts; disdain for intellectuals and the like.
6. DISTORTED REALITIES: This is particularly evidenced around numbers, such as the attendance at the inauguration, Election Day votes by illegals, climate warming percentages, the tax returns of the 45th President as well as disavowal of ties with Russia. This phenomena is heightened when the 45th President, his right-hand counsel and Press Secretary speak publicly.
7. FEAR AND PARANOIA:
a) Struggling with the concept of alternative facts and no one calling “Liar, liar, pants on fire”;
b) Certainty of Big Brother watching;
c) Fear of reprisals and retaliations;
d) Feeling like you are the only one who knows that this “Emperor” wears no clothes.
8. DEPRESSION: Characterized by feeling stuck, disrespected, unacknowledged, disenfranchised, sad, defeated, resigned and hopeless due to the actions of the 45th President and the very-real consequences of said actions; despair over the diminishment and manipulation of a “for-the-people” Democracy.
9. PTSD: Recurring nightmares and flashbacks triggered by debate rhetoric, campaign trail promises, prior historical events that ended in merciless debacles as well as the energetic signatures of #45 and his minions.
10. COMPLICATED GRIEF: Examples include letting go of the 44th President; heartbreak over the election; and, most especially, the loss of Dignity, Truth, Transparency and Gravitas by the 45th President and his White House administration.
11. REACTIVE FEATURES, such as the following:
a.) Sore throats from vociferously responding to television and online news;
b.) The search for Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak, Anne Frank’s hidden attic and other instruments of safety;
c.) The avoidance of all walls of division, most especially cultural, racial, religious and sexual as well as any construction on the border of Mexico and the U.S.;
d.) Dreaming of a move to Canada;
e.) Feelings of heightened solidarity with like-minded unity consciousness thinkers across the globe.
12. IDEALIZATION: The constant and continuous search for what was once the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave; remembering that we are global citizens sharing one Mother Earth.
If you or one of your loved ones exhibit a number of these symptoms, you are urged to seek others who behave similarly. The optimum treatment, to date, is to become a power of example by demonstrating compassion and respect, be a pro-active agent for humanitarian rights and the Common Good and share your light in your own unique and special way.